post-ironic quotation marks

Slightly neurotic (but cute!) singleton looking for adventure, finical stability, and some delusion of meaning. With much thought in the topic of sincerity and the occasional film review.

Saturday, March 24, 2007

I told my mom that she should read The Unbearable Lightness of Being. Every time she's asked for a recommendation because her friend wants to start up a book club, it's always been this one. But I've never really expected her to pick up that book. Most people never read what I recommend. And with mom, I'm constantly watching or reading with censorship in mind, there are so many things which she finds offensive, although maybe this has gone down a bit. Will this bother her or worry her? Is there something the character does that goes against her moral values? It is tiring to watch with other views in mind. Not necessarily will others find this good, but what will this say about me if she hates it? I should only recommend books to strangers.

But it's a wonderful book, and I hope that her book club friends will encourage her to enjoy it (they seem more the type).

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home