post-ironic quotation marks

Slightly neurotic (but cute!) singleton looking for adventure, finical stability, and some delusion of meaning. With much thought in the topic of sincerity and the occasional film review.

Thursday, August 10, 2006

This is the face of frustration

Living in a big cities, I've been spoiled by having access to great libraries and multiple bookstores. Back in my home town the library is decent, but still frustrating. I'm trying to find a copy of Edward Said's Orientalism, which the local library doesn't have. Okay, that's understandable (kind of), although it's a pretty interesting/important book concerning how the west depicts the middle east and how such depiction creates tensions in how we view the middle east today. So, I decide to see if they happen to have another book, the popular "Guns, Germs, and Steel" which was a New York Times bestseller. Guess what? They don't have it in book form. As an audio book, yes, but as a real paper and pulp, I can hold the information in my hand and copy notes from it book? No.

I've devised a game. It's going on to the Southern Tier Automated Regional Catalog website, and entering in book titles, or authors, and seeing if the David A. Howe Library carries it. Most of the people I've been meaning to read aren't availble.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home