post-ironic quotation marks

Slightly neurotic (but cute!) singleton looking for adventure, finical stability, and some delusion of meaning. With much thought in the topic of sincerity and the occasional film review.

Saturday, July 15, 2006

the dullness never ends

Aaaaaaaaaargh! I remember why I can't stand being home. One, there's nothing to do, so in theory, I should be mega productive. I'm not. Oh, it's a silly reason: I have no place comfortable to write. I have a fondness for tables and chairs, there isn't a free one around here. Grrrrr to infinity.

Went to see Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest last night.

Movie discussion (spoilers ahoy!):

It's not as bad as I feared. It's nothing like what I would have done, but then again, I'm not in Hollywood rewriting bad scripts. Maybe I should be. That, however, is another entry.

The major problem of the movie was tone. The film all fits together, I'm sure, but it felt a bit too much like Frankenstein's monster. Either the audience is sitting through High Drama and Plotting, or the live-action-Bugs-Bunny-antics of Captain Jack Sparrow. The comedy scenes are wonderful, and I love. love, love the scene with the waterwheel (or hamster wheel) because it just gets thrown to the gods of randomness. As for former, it would have been passible, and even enjoyable if that's what the audience came into see. Orlando Bloom is made to carry most of the serious stuff, which he does quiet well, considering he's playing the noble, righteous (read: boring) Will Turner.

From a continuity stand point, this doesn't make sense. In the last movie, Turner was the most treacherous character -- he knocked out Sparrow believing full well that the other pirates would kill him, and then lies to the crew about leaving Sparrow behind. Sparrow might seem treacherous, but he always knew more than the other characters about what was going on and what the risks were (e.g., that they didn't need to kill Turner in order to reverse the curse). Now, the roles are somewhat reversed, with Sparrow being willing to trade the souls of others, as well as his friend, for his own freedom. However, dear William will probably still remain boring unless someone gives him some real conflict (for instance, making him choose between his fiancee and his father, and having to betray one of them).

Part of the problem is that Dead Man's Chest has the misfortune to the in the middle of an unnecessary trilogy. The end was tacked on to ensure that one gets to the theatre next summer. Frankly my dear, by the end I couldn't care less about Captain Jack Sparrow, or saving him. By that time, I just wanted out of the theatre.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home