post-ironic quotation marks

Slightly neurotic (but cute!) singleton looking for adventure, finical stability, and some delusion of meaning. With much thought in the topic of sincerity and the occasional film review.

Saturday, January 14, 2006

Spoonful of Sugar Prooves to be Too Much

Why is it that this year I've seen three productions based on childhood favorites which I never really enjoyed? First was "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," the remake of "Willie Wonka" which I'm quite sure I never actually sat through the entire thing? (I have seen a stage version, as well as read the book which I enjoyed more than either movie). Next was "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe." Narnia was never my cup of tea, but a lot of people enjoyed the seven book series. And now, I went to see the production of "Mary Poppins" which is playing in the West End, again without the blessing of favorable memories (or any memories, I doubt that I've ever seen the movie).

In it's current incarnation, this Mary Poppins is a flawed musical. I've been told that it had been changes from when it first premiered, and that originally it was three hours in length. The first act comprises about five or six big numbers and no actual plot that I could figure out. This leaves act II to pick up the pieces. The only musical number that stands out is "Step in Time" which is intended to be a showstopper, but like the songs in Act I, it too feels bloated by the end.

When the curtain closed, I wished that I had been transported away, but I felt coddled and glad to be out of there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home